SOME STUDIES THAT SUPPORT THE BRA/CANCER LINK:
- 1991 Harvard study (CC Hsieh, D Trichopoulos (1991). Breast size, handedness and breast cancer risk. European Journal of Cancer and Clinical Oncology 27(2):131-135.). This study found that, “Premenopausal women who do not wear bras had half the risk of breast cancer compared with bra users…”
- 1991-93 U.S. Bra and Breast Cancer Study by Singer and Grismaijer, published in Dressed To Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras (Second Edition, Square One Publishers, 2018). Found that bra-free women have about the same incidence of breast cancer as men. 24/7 bra wearing increases incidence over 100 times that of a bra-free woman.
- Singer and Grismaijer did a follow-up study in Fiji, published in Get It Off! (ISCD Press, 2000). Found 24 case histories of breast cancer in a culture where half the women are bra-free. The women getting breast cancer were all wearing bras. Given women with the same genetics and diet and living in the same village, the ones getting breast disease were the ones wearing bras for work.
- A 2009 Chinese study (Zhang AQ, Xia JH, Wang Q, Li WP, Xu J, Chen ZY, Yang JM (2009). [Risk factors of breast cancer in women in Guangdong and the countermeasures]. In Chinese. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2009 Jul;29(7):1451-3.) found that NOT sleeping in a bra was protective against breast cancer, lowering the risk 60%.
- 2011 a study was published, in Spanish, confirming that bras are causing breast disease and cancer. It found that underwired and push-up bras are the most harmful, but any bra that leaves red marks or indentations may cause disease.
- 2015 Comparative study of breast cancer risk factors at Kenyatta National Hospital and the Nairobi Hospital J. Afr. Cancer (2015) 7:41-46. This study found a significant bra-cancer link in pre-and post-menopausal women.
- 2016 Wearing a Tight Bra for Many Hours a Day is Associated with Increased Risk of Breast Cancer Adv Oncol Res Treat 1: 105. This is the first epidemiological study to look at bra tightness and time worn, and found a significant bra-cancer link.
For more support in going Bra free, join the Free the Boobies Facebook Page
Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras
By Medical Anthropologists Sydney Ross Singer and Soma Grismaijer
Could There Possibly Be a Link Between Underwire Bras and Breast Cancer??
Gwenyth Paltrow's personal physician, Dr. Sadeghi, discusses the bra-cancer link on Goop.com, Gwenyth's website.
Can Wearing Your Bra Cause Cancer?
Dr. Mercola discussed the issue.
This is the site of Elizabeth Vaughan, M.D.
Schachter Center for Complementary Medicine
Michael Schachter, M.D., is an oncologist.
This is the site of a breast cancer educator who once worked for the ACS
More information on the bra-cancer link.
70 Times Celebrities Went Braless In Honor Of National No Bra Day